Residential Home Owners

Residential Home Owners

Residential Connections

We provide utility connections for any new residential development, offering a service tailored to the needs of each project.

How to tell who owns the gas pipes and electricity cables to your home

To find out if you’re connected to an Energy Assets gas network you can look up your address using: Find My Supplier

To find out if you’re connected to an Energy Assets electricity network look for you electricity supply number on a recent bill; it will look like this:

If the Distributor ID (circled in red) is ‘32’ and no other number, you are connected to an Energy Assets network.

Need some extra help? What is the Priority Services Register and how can I apply?

As a network operator, we also provide a Priority Service Register to ensure that vulnerable households particularly reliant on energy services are safeguarded. While disruption to electricity and gas supply is rare, we will ensure that anyone registered with the service is informed in advance of any planned interruptions.

What to do in an emergency – Gas

To report a smell of gas, a loss of gas supply or a concern regarding the safety of gas equipment, including concerns about carbon monoxide follow the guidance below:

  1. Call the National Gas Emergency Service Provider on 0800 111 999. They will record your details and offer advice depending on the circumstances.
  2. Turn off or isolate the gas supply, if it is safe to do so.
  3. Extinguish all naked flames and remove potential sources of ignition.
  4. Open all doors and windows to ventilate the area.
  5. Do not operate any electrical equipment, including switching lights on or off.
  6. At access points to the property, you are advised not to operate any electrical security entry/exit systems.

Where the National Gas Emergency Service Provider receives a report of a smell of gas or other gas emergency, the nominated regional Emergency Service Provider will endeavour to attend site within one or two hours, depending on the nature of the reported emergency. This service operates 365 days a year, 24 hours a day.

The nominated Emergency Service Provider representative will always make the gas supply safe, when called to a suspected gas escape. However, the emergency service provided does not cover repairs to appliances or installation pipe work (after the meter) that cannot be completed within 30 minutes. The engineer will explain what course of action you need to take next if your supply cannot be restored.

What to do in an emergency – Electricity

Power cut?Live Power Cut Map

We aim to provide a safe and reliable electricity supply but unfortunately sometimes faults do occur on our electricity network which causes interruptions to our customers’ electricity supply.

Power Cut Checks

If you lose supply, check whether your neighbours have also lost their supply.

If your neighbours DON’T have power, call the emergency line: 0333 800 2016.

If your neighbours DO have power:

  1. Check your trip switch. If the trip switch is still on call the emergency number.
  2. If the trip switch is off, switch it back on.
  3. If it switches back off, one of your appliances may be faulty so unplug all appliances and then reset the trip switch.
  4. If only part of your supply has failed and the trip won’t reset there may be a fault with your internal wiring. Please contact a registered electrician.
  5. Check your electricity meter. Is the dial/display working? If not call the emergency number: 0333 800 2016

Whilst waiting for an engineer to attend and restore your supply:

  • Switch off all electrical appliances that shouldn’t be left unattended, in case the power comes back on. You should limit the use of your smart phone or laptop to preserve the life of the battery.
  • Keep fridges and freezers closed, with a blanket over as they will stay cold for many hours.
  • Leave a light on so you know when the power outage has been resolved.
  • Check to see if your neighbours are okay.
  • Wrap up warm.
  • Remember never to put yourself in danger and to alert the emergency services if a dangerous situation arises.

Entering your home

From time to time Energy Assets may need to visit your home to inspect or maintain gas or electrical equipment at your property, to deal with a reported smell of gas; an electricity or gas emergency or to complete a site visit requested by a customer. The visit will either be made by an Energy Assets employee or another contractor working on our behalf.

Energy Assets has arrangements in place to ensure only trained and competent employees or contractors visit your home.

  • Energy Assets recruitment procedures involve appropriate background checks.
  • Energy Assets staff and contractors will be appropriately qualified and fully trained for the purpose of the visit and will be courteous at all times in their dealings with you, without showing signs of undue familiarity. They will give clear, accurate explanations using appropriate and sensitive language and will respect your property and premises.
  • Wherever possible, all Energy Assets employees and contractors will show an identity card showing their Company name, their own name, date of issue and a colour photograph of the individual. For customers who are blind or partially sighted, we can also arrange for a password (chosen by yourself) that can be tested on the engineer to ensure their authenticity. Please refer to our Priority Service Register service for more information.
  • Where possible, all vehicles used for visits to your property will carry the Energy Assets or contractors logo.
  • Where possible, all Energy Assets employees and contractors will wear branded clothing indicating they are representing Energy Assets.
  • Energy Assets will ensure that its employees and contractors are aware of the contents in this code and comply with it at all times.
  • All Energy Assets employees and contractors will be able to give you explanations and information on matters relevant to the purpose of their visit.
  • If you have any doubts about whether a caller is genuine, do not let them into your home.
  • If you are still in doubt, or would like further assurance, please call 01506 405 405 to verify.

If the visit follows a report to the National Gas Emergency Service Provider, then the engineer will be an employee of Cadent, SGN, Wales and the West Utilities or Northern Gas Networks (depending on where your house is located).

How do I apply for a new connection or alteration to my existing service?

If you have a new property that requires connection to an existing EAN or EAP network, or would like to enquire about an existing service alteration, please contact us with the details of the property, connection details and maximum demand required.

We will determine whether the network can accommodate your requirements and advise you on the next steps. Please be aware we can only provide a connection if the local electricity infrastructure is operated by EAN or the gas infrastructure by EAP.

For more details on costs and the process click here


National Gas Emergency ServicePower cut?